Goalkeeping

Goalkeeping

EQ

Working EQ: "How can a goalkeeper best avoid having goals scored against her during a soccer game?"

Friday, January 31, 2014

Additional Post 6: Pain is Only Weakness Leaving the Body

One word.  Pushups.  Three different methods means three new breeds of pain I am purposefully inflicting upon myself.  Some may call it crazy; I call it training.

In the past two weeks, my mentor has started a new training regiment with me involving pushups.  I am required to do as may as I can.  I'm supposed to go until my arms get so tired I can't possibly do any more.  This training regiment is among other things, meant to strengthen my arms and core.  Developing your pushup ability is crucial to power and stability as well.  By optimizing those skills I am allowing myself to get to the ball quicker and stay steady on my feet, all things that are optimal for preventing a goal from being scored.

These sets are repeated every time I have practice, and sometimes on my own time.  After several weeks I will hopefully have increased the number of reps and subsequently my strength.  This torture is only in place to make me better.

The following images show the 3 different varieties of pushups I do for this drill.


I start out with my hands in a diamond position as shown.  Then I do as many as I possibly can.  I am currently just over 20. Once my arms fall out from beneath me I am allowed a 1 minute rest.


The next style of pushup is a tricep pushup.  I am definitely not accustomed to these yet and can only produce 5-7 at a time.  These are the most difficult for me.  Normally my arms bend out and away from my body.  With these, your arms are required to stay by your side.  Some people call them the military pushup.



After my last minute of rest, I continue on with the 3rd and final pushup style.  These are just normal pushups you're taught in gym.  If done by themselves without the other two kinds of torture I can churn out 40 or more at a time.  But by the time I've passed out hit the ground twice, these become more difficult and I can usually only produce 10 or so.

 And repeat...Everything...Yes, everything.

And now that you're exhausted from purely reading this, I sign off.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment