Goalkeeping

Goalkeeping

EQ

Working EQ: "How can a goalkeeper best avoid having goals scored against her during a soccer game?"

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Research and Working EQ

Working EQ: What are the most important skills a goalkeeper should possess in order to produce a clean sheet during a game?

  • A keeper with a high level of focus and concentration will always be ready for a ball even if the shot or pass was unexpected.  A high level of concentration allows the keeper to be on their toes even if the ball isn't in their own third of the pitch.
  • Keepers should be taught how to command and communicate to players in and around the goal box.  This skill stops players from going for the same ball, no one going for a ball, and the opposing team being able to score a goal.

My mentor, Kim Nemeth, has been my best source of information.  I've learned from her not only through my mentorship, but during my practices when she is my coach.  Her knowledge about the position is extensive, and she is always looking up new things and finding out more information if there is something she's unsure about how to tackle.

My mentor is Kim Nemeth.  I am currently helping her coach a group of girls, and more specifically goalkeepers, in the Under 14 age group through the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO). Working with Kim not only relates to my EQ, but doing the hours has even help me come up with a better EQ.  The EQ asks what skills are most important.  Kim's training sessions generally will cover 2 or 3 topics per night, and going to her sessions for 4 practices a week shows me a lot of skills over time.  I can really tell the difference between the skills that need to be exercised more during a game from those that are less important.  The more important skills always are brought up again in later training sessions even if just as a reminder to do that skill correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment