Goalkeeping

Goalkeeping

EQ

Working EQ: "How can a goalkeeper best avoid having goals scored against her during a soccer game?"

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Blog 5: Project Reflection and Working EQ

The Pentagon:
  1. I have gained a lot of new knowledge from Jeff Tackett because his training style is different from Kim Nemeth's style.  Jeff focuses more on the broad skills, assuming the small skills will trickle in.  During a normal training session, Kim will focus more on an individual skills like hand eye coordination or diving for high balls.
  2. Source 3 so far has been the most interesting article.  It has provoked me to research the experiment that occurred, and I found a lead to see if I could obtain the doctoral thesis done by Gabriel Diaz, a doctoral candidate at Renssaeler Polytechnic University The article explained how penalty kicks can be defended by more accurately.  The PK has an extremely high chance of going in (numbers vary between 80% and 90% depending on the study), and are rarely blocked.  The experiment touched base on the psychological side of goalkeeping which prompted me to look more into it.  I've always realized that a goalkeeper needs to have a strong and extraordinarily calm mind to get through a game, but I've never thought about it in the psychological sense.  The entire article with the experiment gave me so many different avenues to explore.
  3. Finding new ideas about goalkeeping is totally a plus.  I've never thought about the position with so many different angles.  Psychology, agility, running a clinic, and so many other ways to go.
  4. With all the different avenues I've opened I'm not sure which way to go.  It's given me so many options.
  5. Working EQ - What are the most important skills a goalkeeper needs to become a higher level athlete?
    • For mentorship I have been helping Jeff Tackett train several groups of young goalkeepers and I am the assistant coach/ goalie coach for Kim Nemeth's Girls Under-14 team.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having fun exploring. Your EQ will probably need to be changed to "is the most important skill." Also, what is a higher level athlete? You will be asked to be specific.

    ReplyDelete